Wednesday, July 10, 2024

What is happening with NEET?

 I gave my IIT-JEE exam in 2013. There were certain nuances which I won't mention here, such as the change in format of the exam, to happen in two stages instead of one. The amount of physical and mental toll it takes on an above average non-prodigy middle class student like me cannot be explained in words. While I was relieved after the exam as I did reasonably well, the two years of intense study leading up to it sort of changed me. I had no social life, no real friends just colleagues who I have shared trauma with, and no shared memories during that time. I don't think I could go through that time again. Even today, sometimes, I wake up in sweats in the middle of the night thinking of how I missed the exam date or how I interchanged the two exams and any other fail-proof scenarios my sweet brain could conjure up. So, believe me, when I say, I know what the prospect of a paper-leak or a cancelled exam feels like. 

Let me make my position absolutely clear. I am not blindly supporting the so-called RE-NEET neither am I against conducting the NEET again if that means everyone gets a fair chance. Maybe, there should be an averaging of scores from the first and the second test. I don't know the clear answer. 

BUT, the NTA (National Testing Agency) and the Indian government are clearly at fault here. I have been watching a lot of videos on what the political vibe is among the nation's youth and it seems like an overwhelming majority is unhappy of the fact that almost every exam has been subjected to said "leaks", which was shocking to say the least. So, this is not an isolated happening. Yet, the Solicitor General and the NTA rather misleadingly presented that it is so in the Supreme Court (SC). SC in response, said that, "there is no question that the leak has happened". 

What is the current state as of July 10, 2024? 

The SC has currently directed the NTA to provide the entire test data in an Excel sheet so that the attorney general of the People could try and use "data science" on the data to point out irregularities so that they can provide a more informed arguments in the court. Subject to correction, it looks like NTA has provided an interface where someone could collect data one student at a time but not as a batch query. Goes out to say that they would use any dirty trick available to them to evade justice. The quorum on this isn't settled yet and we might have to see how this plays out in the next court hearing. 

The SC further said that, while there is no question that the leak happened, the "blast radius" of the leak has to be determined. Only then, can they provide ruling on whether the NEET would be cancelled entirely or only in certain affected areas.

I wish all the medical students stay strong. If you have put in the hard work, you will persevere and you will get through this. This too shall pass! :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment